Interested in joining the South Plainfield Rescue Squad? This page with provide you with the information needed in order to join our organization. You will also find a downloadable application at the bottom of the page.
Please read the following information regarding joining the South Plainfield Rescue Squad and then download the application below:
- Applicants currently the age of 17 will join the Cadet Core of the South Plainfield Rescue Squad.
- Applicants over 18 years old will join the adult squad of the rescue squad.
Upon joining, you will be asked to choose a permanent night crew (Monday - Friday & Sunday). You will then be responsible for riding from 7pm to 7am on your duty night. Each night crew also works alternating weekends so you will have 1 Saturday every 6 weeks in which the crew rides from 7pm to 7am.
- All clothing and uniforms are provided for you free of charge. You will be issued squad T-shirts, sweatshirts, BDU pants, spring jacket and winter jacket. You will also be issued a dress uniform for special events.
- All trainings are provided for you free of charge. Most of our trainings are taught at our rescue squad building by certified instructors. New members will be certified in CPR. You will then have about a year to begin EMT class. We also have specialized trainings throughout the year such as vehicle extrication and Hazardous Materials Awareness, etc.
- All members are required to help out at squad functions we have a handful of times per year. Examples of such are building clean ups every couple of months, selling of our super 50/50 raffle to be drawn on Labor Day, and help out at Labor Day festivities (parade and/or fireworks).
- Members of the Cadet Core have meetings on the 1st Monday of every month at 8:30 pm.
- The adult squad has a monthly meeting on the 2nd Monday of every month at 8pm. Members are required to attend at least 9 out of 12 meetings per year unless excused. Meetings generally run between 30 minutes and 1 hour. Refreshments are served prior to all monthly meetings, usually hot food or subs and soda.
- Upon joining, you will begin riding as an observer or cadet. As you complete more training you will gradually begin helping out with first aid. Please keep in mind that you will never be thrown into a situation that you are not ready for.